Summer Internship Program - Small Business Accounts Underwriting
December 20, 2017
Westfield Center, Ohio
Full Time - Internship
BUILD YOUR FUTURE...WHILE PROTECTING THEIRS.
Your future is bright, promising, and full of endless possibilities. Explore those possibilities at Westfield Insurance where our interns work on projects that make a difference. This is your chance to showcase your talents while we guide you in setting achievable career aspirations. From actuarial to event planning, we offer a wide range of opportunities for you to develop and grow in your chosen academic area.
Small Business Accounts Intern Job Summary
Corporate Housing Available*
Position will start in May/June 2018 and will run for 10 – 12 weeks.
The Commercial Lines Internship will take place at Westfield’s Home Office in Westfield Center, OH. The internship will offer the successful candidate exposure to our Commercial Lines department: specifically, the Small Business Accounts(SBA) team.
The intern will work closely with underwriters and underwriting assistants to assist their day-to-day work flow needs. They will work with WesCom to further assist underwriters with servicing our agency partners. Through their work, the intern will learn the work flow process, understand and be able to evaluate Westfield’s risk appetite, and understand the importance of both internal and external relationships.
Preferred for this position:
Student entering their Junior or Senior year of college by the Fall 2018 semester.
Student pursuing an insurance or business related degree.
1. Assists business unit with work assigned to them. This often includes, but is not limited to, project work and coverage of day-to-day activities within the business unit.
2. Actively participates in summer internship program events including Lunch & Learns.
3. Conducts research and/or other work for projects assigned.
4. May be responsible for department administrative and support duties.
5. Develops business acumen through interactions and shadowing with other professionals.
6. Attends business unit meetings as assigned.
7. Creates and delivers presentations.
8. Travels occasionally in order to participate in special assignments, training, and/or travel between office locations.
1. Actively pursuing or within 1 year of receiving a secondary education degree with a related field of study.
2. Previous work experience.
3. Proven ability to collaborate and work with a team.
4. Demonstrated solid oral, written and interpersonal skills resulting in the ability to interact with all levels within the organization.
5. Demonstrated organization skills.
6. Demonstrated initiative and ability to work independently.
7. Valid driver’s license and a driving record that conforms to company standards.
Physical Requirements (specific to the role)
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
• Ability to work effectively in an office environment for 40+ hours per week (including sitting, standing and working on a computer for extended periods of time).
• Ability to communicate effectively in a collaborative work environment utilizing various technologies such as: telephone, computer, web, voice, teleconferencing, e-mail, etc.
• Ability to travel as required.
• Depending on assigned department, physical requirements may vary in severity.
This job description describes the general nature and level of work performed in this role. It is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, skills, responsibilities, knowledge, etc. These may be subject to change and additional functions may be assigned as needed by management.
Enjoy a casual-dress atmosphere while taking advantage of a challenging and rewarding work environment. Our internship program starts your career and encourages you to set meaningful goals and objectives while you are with us. You will meet with key leaders, job shadow, make presentations and have fun along the way!
We are an equal opportunity employer/minority/female/disability/protected veteran.
Westfield will be admired as a leading personal and commercial lines property-casualty insurance company enabled by an exceptional team known for expertise and caring. We will be distinguished by excellence in commercial insurance, and customers will choose us for our insight about risk and the value we deliver.